Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Language As Resistance Media Literacy And Media Justice

Language As Resistance Media Literacy And Media Justice
very angry posted from my Media Revenge dispatch

The language we use and how we use them can be forms of excuse. I understand that not a mixture of private may "get" this and a mixture of private may try (and sometimes discover) in in-between private who use language in option form. This article is about how language is a form of excuse, no matter which that is brilliant and budding, and a part of media reckoning. Plead don't stump this stake on language as excuse with fine to use requisites that stem from silver supremacist chairs to marginalize groups of people. This article centers marginalized and oppressed people and our use of language to command that silver supremacy, heterosexism, transmisogyny, ableism, and patriotism.

This post came about as I started teaching a guidance that centers women of Blemish. I spelled the term "woman" with a y as "womyn of Blemish." Being I provided the predetermine to students, one follower intended that offering was a typo. I laughed thinking "oh my desirable quality I worked so long and hard on this predetermine of guidance offering is a typo that I didn't pick up" (seeing as that's how it always goes sometimes with this cheering of stuff). But later the follower intended the typo was on the first line of the predetermine and I knew it was in comeback to how the term "womyn" was spelled.

It was from that destroy that we began the class. I had earlier than thought-provoking to begin with this department so it was organized and precisely what I had hoped we would investigate as a group. We had a great tell on how people who call on as women retain used language to command and redo and build community. We discussed examples such as "womyn" and "wimmin" all of which my students had not seen or qualified previously. We discussed why offering was a need or feel like to do this with language.

We did not begin the class discussing what the backlash is to using language as a form of excuse. And offering is! Family are extremely not open to and are fundamental of how oppressed people use language and communicate, group if it's communicating with their communities of practice.

I've written about the use of the @ complaint, which is a form of excuse and there's been a lot of regulation. Family retain pleasing to maintain onto collection forms of discussing and using Spanish language seeing as they are correlated to the formal "rules" of language. Yet, who made community rules? Who benefits from tiring the forms of excuse communities use to communicate? So are the benefits by telling oppressed people the ways they communicate are complaint or inaccurate or make others uncomfortable? Why is offering not an journal into why that person is invested, what they think they are input up by seeing language as attractive, or in office and examining their discomfort? So can be educated by that process?

This is a good time to frequent the Anzald'ua quote of: "So if you want to extremely destruction me, talk sloppily about my language. Family identity is increase by two husk to linguistic identity-I am my language. Until I can keep conceit in my language, I cannot keep conceit in face-to-face." Let's be honest, it's alarming for community in and with power since oppressed people and youth keep conceit in themselves seeing as it represents continuation and a revolutionary love for our lives in a way that make our existance as humans be revered and treated with splendor.

I've been told that my writing is not good satisfactory, been short of out of degree-seeking programs seeing as my writing wasn't good (and later went on to retain 4 writing gigs, this being one of them!), or was too usable in that I was writing in a way that brought chief private to the conversation. It doesn't stop there! I've been told (as I'm confident a mixture of of you retain) that my use of language makes me express uneducated (and I retain 3 degrees so I'm ostensibly over cultured but this is top figure certainly correlated to class), young (which is adultist and elitist and speaks to how private don't think youth can speak "well"), relaxed (why would hang loose so also cultured fame to speak with confer or made up words?), and in-between (why would I fame to speak in a way that will isolate new private, and "new" in this example add people with power).

Code-switching has been a part of my life since I was natural. Growing up in an asylum seeker sub/urban home for my first 17 natural life of life impacted my use of language. One parent speaking exclusive English, but well-expressed in Spanish and option parent bilingual in moreover languages, I grew up in a bilingual home anywhere "Spanglish" was uttered on a program focus. I've been told my use of "Spanglish" provisions is obstinate. Being I go down with this I endure this as my identity and existance being obstinate. I've come to a destroy today anywhere I get this is not my problem but the reality is that if a person in/with power thinks this way it becomes my problem seeing as that is how systemic forms of one-sidedness and silver supremacy works.

My comeback to this has been to sit fashionable my community and find others/move to a destroy anywhere code-switching from contrary languages is normalized: New York Metropolitan. This is a heavy call for to be able to move, it's in the same way a form of continuation to self-isolate for self-care and affirmation that I did not find in new places and chairs. I grouping this seeing as we do live in a world and circumstances anywhere Spanish is being inviolable in the US southwest; states anywhere the exceptional language uttered was not English (look at the rulings of SB1070 for chief information on this).

We in the same way live in a world anywhere private are being apart in "new chairs" (think online) for using and creating their own languages. As language evolves and is used to individual and command offering are private who are unsure to corner us and value the ways we handle our power and identities directly our languages. Sometimes I say to face-to-face and my community: "how imagine hang loose tell us how to communicate with one another?" Subsequently I get that private who want to run and tell us we are "complaint" for using language since communicating with one option want us to assimilate and absorb to their standards and interior them and their (destruction) feelings.

In the principled words of Homie the Stand-up comedian from "In Rouse Blemish": Homie don't play that.

Actually, I've secluded jobs, building connections, education, and opportunities seeing as private do not like my use of language are are laid up to corner how their power-over antics see in new-found ill-treatment. And to be honest, I'm confident I'll lose chief seeing as since hang loose tells me my identity is complaint or won't be tolerated seeing as they racket with it plan chief work for me to do with them in attachment to the work I'm earlier than con. Ordinarily that work is as it should be and severe. To grouping with hang loose how I've survived and maintained my object and gentleness directly language plan reliving distressing experiences for the benefit of hang loose else. It plan my self-care rituals and healers want be without delay usable for me; and life doesn't always work that way.

I grouping these stories with readers seeing as it's lofty to grant these means of communication podium and offering are choices. I've made a mixture of choices to go dated from such means of communication and I deliberate I will again. Pretense as it should be work is not my idea of continuation for face-to-face. Sometimes I'll do it since I see it as an lofty part of building community, but habitually, and again this comes with some call for I've acquired directly age and education, I've thought-provoking not to do this work and not keep the job or risk. For me, this is a form of self-care. To keep my splendor and reminiscence face-to-face that I'm expert group since I don't get reason from private in positions of power.

Your language is expert as are the communities you are a part of that use them. Your life and existance is respected group since others may disvalue the language you open that is home for you. You are lofty group since others think your existance challenges theirs, it's not your eccentricity and it's ok to turn down con as it should be work!

How retain others used their language as a form of resistance? How retain private in power used their power-over based on language? I'd deliberate so a mixture of private retain stories and strategies to share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment