Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dear Company Leadership I Have Been A Good Manager

Dear Company Leadership I Have Been A Good Manager
"Here's a sponsored guest post by Anna Smith, from www.WhatDoYouWantFromThem.com - the informal network for managers."

Dear Company Leadership,

Here is my Christmas Wish List:


o I (junior manager) would love to be challenged (more), trained (more) and mentored (more) by a senior manager.

o Help me become an integral part of the team. Tell me that it's not about me.

o Collaborating with other managers is awesome. Give me a chance to do it more often.

o Organizational values/mission, alignment, emotional competence, networking, team building, all the other stuff I need to know - teach me (again and again).

o Allow me to make mistakes.

o The bottom-line matters most, I understand that. Now help me re-humanize my workplace.

o Don't let me become a bosshole!

(I'm tempted to say that if I don't get what I want, I'll quit and work someplace cooler, but I'm trying to show some integrity here. Plus, the economy sucks and I'm not sure if the 100 Best Companies To Work For are hiring right now...)

"Sincerely,"

Your greatest asset (one of them)

"More from Dan:


I love Anna's manager wish list, and I'd like to add a few items, on behalf of the managers I'm responsible for developing:

* A winning long term strategy
* Clear direction and consistent priorities
* The resources I need to execute on our strategy
* Support and reinforcement from my own manager for the new leadership skills I've learned
* Empower me to deliver results without micromanagement
* A competent, supportive HR partner
* The courage and strength to do the right thing

How about you? Anything you'd like to add to our manager's Christmas wish list? We'll make sure it's emailed to your company's senior leadership with a copy to the North Pole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment