Friday, August 12, 2011

Man Down And Woman Up Can We Claim Violence

Man Down And Woman Up Can We Claim Violence
mark posted from my Media Lawfulness scaffold

Trigger Warning light for pondering of violence and rape


I'm going to create something very touchy, something that mass household will not coagulate with and I'm intended of this and I'd like readers to be intended equally. Roughly goes: I do not wholeheartedly fasten that non-violent societies/communities are the utmost safe all the time. I create this worldly wise that violence manifests in easier said than done and assorted ways. If your idea of violence is just physical twinge and issues of safety, fill think of violence as great than that. Like people talk about obtain violence they are repeatedly discussing systems of ill-treatment that are institutionalized (not just the fly-by-night surrender as some may think). Fieriness comes in mass forms and I acknowledge that offer are some forms and types of violence that I wholeheartedly understand and can probably see myself becoming a part of or the stage if put in usual situations.

For some time I've been wondering why people are so speechless and shake-up so women (any person who identifies as a woman in this world) make progress some level of violence (whether it be shipping sprinkle display, a weapon (and as Ani DiFranco says "prod every tool is a weapon if you hug it right"), or learning self-defense and/or pugnacious arts (to name a few). Yes offer are household who think it's thorny that women and other household who must carry on themselves must do so in our society/world and they talk about what that burial and how it can possibly change. I'm not arguing against change, I'm opinion us to think about how what some may call "violence" others may call "patience" and completely "love," a form of love so fervent and milestone that it stems from a be interested in to stall and be self-regulating.

This is a concern I've discussed repeatedly just before clear-cut topics and people. The conversations impart Rihanna's "Man Minimal" string and song enjoy stimulated part of this post/thought process/desire for great conversation. If you haven't seen the string it is under and singing to the song can be knock down in attendance.

The church choir of this song and the interpretations of the singing are what enjoy sparked to a large extent conversation and chat. Several singing include:

Oh mama mama mama I just shot a man down In prime concentrate In presupposition of a big ol company Oh Why Oh Why Oh mama mama mama I just shot a man down In prime concentrate

Spectators and listenters are moved to connect these singing and Rihanna's activities to payback for a rape that occurred that we see in the string. Example of me wants to take back household that Rihanna is not in performance at all new, completely for her. Can we think back to her first video Music of the Sun and her song "There's A Gangster In My Life" where she sings:

There's a difficult in my life, how'ma gonna tell my mama She gonna say it ain't right, but he's so good to me There's a difficult in my life, and its gonna prod crazy compete I'm gonna see him tonight, I'm gonna give him something

Roughly she's invoking talking/telling her close relative, just like in the "Man Minimal" song. She focuses on deplorable her close relative, talking about how she is making decisions based on what she feels and knows is best for her. This is something that we repeatedly don't domestic animals or own up youth to do, we, adults, think we figure out "better" what is good for a young person than that young person knows for themselves. This goes totally against my positive youth job philosophy as well as my support of harm reductionist approaches. I hike.

Many of talk about the Rihanna string from some great places, that if you want to read more I would significance the Crunk Feminist Joint herald Man Down: On Rihanna, Rape, and Fieriness (read the annotations too!), Recipe Red has a great conference on Caribbean representations and Rihanna's string amid Bajan and Jamaican communities.

Yet, I want us to enjoy large conversations about violence. I've discussed in the past women of Touch claiming a usual level of violence, something a adherent of dig from living ago mentioned and has stayed with me all this time. I spine about this explicitly with the Ivy Queen song "La Abusadora" which you can be there to in attendance (it's in Spanish only).

While about non-consensual violence such as take-over and striking an heckler, self-defense, in some forms of rebuke, for mask, to control, and to end colonial legacies? I want to be high-quality in attendance, offer are potent broadcasting that are consensual and I'll talk about those in a significance. These examples chief I'm thinking about in great ways, not just issues of safety in our communities, equally in do wellbeing, spiritual growth, liberatory goals, nationalists agendas, and position in all-embracing.

You see I campaign with this repeatedly. I guarantee the buy back in vogue my community and online about this concern. At hand are parts of me that figure out so part is murdered or debilitated in particular ways that has an comportment on a community in very clear-cut ways. At the enormously time I understand why being potent in usual ways (I'm thinking a rape victim/survivor hurting/killing their rapist) can equally hew a safe( r) mistake. For that reason I campaign again with how we can build communities with that person/rapist who has debased other people in such a way. I am not adapted with this being so dichotomous: either you are anti-violence or pro-violence. I think it is more easier said than done.

You see, I don't think all forms of violence are forms of assistance. My homegirl Marie dual with me on peep so I asked about violence endlessly being a form of assistance her experience in her Krav class (a form of hand-to-hand combat/martial arts). That "I'm learning how to lid myself in class. Fieriness in a structured landscape is important in order to learn." Impressive violence is something that is new for me as well to think about in this particular way. For example, so we discussed violence in my class restrain semester and later I asked students to create about it on their final exam, mass of the men in the class wrote about boxing and a way to end boxing to enjoy less violence communities. I was dazed that they burden this way, and realized we didn't talk about "structured violence" which is what boxing as a sports meeting is in our society.

So, why don't we fasten youth and women and other household who make progress a usual level of violence to tell that violence? To only use that violence so it is simply essential (whenever that may be) but so they feel risky, need to carry on themselves, or beneficial their land, family, home, country? I think a lot of this idea deceit in the "what if" fear. While if part moreover was hurt? While if a melee occurs? While if people insult that form of violence?

I think those questions are compelling. I think they are equally attached to ideas of power and who can make progress power and so. I simply guarantee Sofia Quintero's (aka Black Artemis) list of "payback cinema" to watch and dialect, which was equally stimulated by the Rihanna "Man Minimal" string. If you enjoy not seen her restrain present, the Disappointment, I'd like to detain about your imitation and pose about Rosario Dawson's characters verdict and activities. Bigger remarkably I'd like to detain household talk more about pushing this conversation send off contrary to debunking it perfunctorily.

0 comments:

Post a Comment